Helping you to move more & feel better
Would you benefit from moving more to improve your physical and mental health?
We understand the difficulties that affect many of us being active and the uncertainty about how to get started. Many of us are anxious, nervous or have long-term health conditions and require support.
The Move Together team are here to help and support you to move more!
Moving more, in a way that works for you, is hugely beneficial. It can help you to better manage a long-term health condition, increase your energy levels and help with mood or weight management. Being active is about finding what works for you and Move Together coordinators can provide advice, motivation and signposting to a variety of activities for you to try. So if you are living with a long term health condition, or if you could benefit from moving more to improve your physical and mental health, please get in touch today!
Keep moving at home with the Move Together Activity Pack
As winter approaches, it's more important than ever to keep moving, to protect our mental as well as our physical health and wellbeing. There are so many ways that you can move more in the comfort of your own home, or simply by going for a walk. We've produced a new Move Together Activity Pack which is packed full of advice and tips to help you get started.
Move Together Activity Pack (PDF, 7.8 Mb)
Spotlight story - motivating people
A Move Together participant found out about the pathway following an operation and shares their Move Together experience:
"I found it so difficult to motivate myself to do the exercises, it was so easy not to do them. But I got a phone call and this person came round. He was a really nice person and came to my house to help with exercises. He identified the three best exercises I needed to do to strengthen my legs. Each week he came and he increased the amount of exercises I was doing. I have kept it up as there were only three exercises, it was easier to do them. It's strengthened my various muscles and gave me more confidence in walking without a walking stick. The encouragement was fantastic, the encouragement made me do it, seeing the progress, which made me feel good after failing at physio. Living on your own you need somebody to do it with or to show you what to do.
How to get started
To find out more about moving more and get started, here's what you can do:
1: You can click here to make an enquiry, call your local Move Together co-ordinator (numbers below) or ask your GP to refer you
2: Your local Move Together co-ordinator will be in touch for a chat & next steps
3: You can decide together what sort of activities you'd like to do
4: Together we can agree the sort of ongoing support you'd like
What we can offer:
- Support, advice and guidance about starting to move more that's tailored to what you need, in the way you need it.
- We can be a kind voice on the phone or a friendly face on the doorstep to provide advice and information about moving more, with local volunteers to support if needed.
- Lots of ideas about ways to help you get back more strength and mobility, improve how you feel and become more confident about going out.
- Whether you want to find out more about local community activities, walking groups or how to move more within the comfort of your own home, we are here to help.
- We can help you access specially designed home activity packs, exercise sessions for specific conditions, online classes and much more.
- All of the Move Together advice is provided by physical activity experts in line with COVID safe guidance, designed to support you to be more active and improve your health and wellbeing.
What Move Together participants are saying
"I have really enjoyed the advice I have been given about making certain changes to my lifestyle, which has really motivated me and made such a difference. It has really made me push myself positively to make the changes as I have struggled with my diabetes for around 2-3 years. It really has worked wonders for me."
"I really enjoyed receiving the Welcome pack with all the information, resistance band and pedometer. I keep the bag in the kitchen so I can see 'Move' and it makes me think and encourages me to move more if I haven't done so already."
"Great benefits, I feel stronger, happier with body and enjoying seeing small improvements has been what keeps me going. I know that may not last forever but I feel supported by your offer of updating/help with programmes going forward."
"Since exercising it has changed my mood and I feel more happier and motivated to do more, also I don't feel as anxious as I did when I first started."
Contact your local Move Together Co-ordinator today:
- Oxford City: 07824 321720
- Cherwell District Council: 01295 221575
- Vale of White Horse: 07717 714477
- South Oxfordshire: 07717 836750
- West Oxfordshire: 01993 861564
Most importantly of all, please remember that you're not alone. We are here to listen and support and can link you to other people who may be feeling exactly the same way as you do. We look forward to welcoming you to Move Together!
Move Together is funded by Oxfordshire County Council and co-ordinated by Active Oxfordshire in partnership with District Councils.