Helping you to move more & feel better
Have you been shielding due to the COVID-19 pandemic?
Has your physical or mental health and wellbeing been negatively impacted by COVID-19?
If so, Move Together is here to help.
Move Together is brand new for Oxfordshire and is here to support you to move more, to help improve your physical health, mental health and wellbeing. Starting to move more, in a way that works for you, is hugely beneficial. It can help with mood, energy levels, sleep and weight management, as well as helping to manage long term conditions, too.
Keep moving at home with the Move Together Activity Pack
In these uncertain times, it's more important than ever to keep moving, to protect our mental as well as our physical health and wellbeing. There are so many ways that you can move more in the comfort of your own home, or simply by going for a walk. We've produced a new Move Together Activity Pack which is packed full of advice and tips to help you get started.
Move Together Activity Pack (PDF, 1.9 Mb)
Maggie is a 75 year old Oxford resident. She talks about the difference that Move Together has made to her life:
"When lockdown came, I found it quite hard to cope with not meeting people, not seeing my neighbours. I have a close family who would visit and use face time, but the reality is that you are completely isolated. For months and months I didn't go outside the door. I began to notice that my balance was becoming extremely wobbly and the muscle tone in my legs was diminishing. I really was quite worried that I would have a fall. I received a leaflet through the post about Move Together. I was contacted by Hayley and she was just amazing – so sweet and so enthusiastic…really kind and supportive and encouraging. When I spoke to Hayley, she was so friendly and really just cheered me up. She made me feel that actually I didn't have to do very much to get myself going again, and that my ability to move easily would gradually return. She sent me a pack with exercises I could do at home and even from my armchair, as well as bands to help me with resistance.
I began to go out again and my daughters would come and just link arms with me to help me walk along, before I got my confidence back. Just to have somebody link arms with you is a really reassuring thing. You begin to use your muscles and your muscle tone comes back a bit. Things moved on and I did get my confidence back. My balance is back pretty much to normal. If you can't do anything else, walking is so good – it helps your balance and the tone of your muscles all over. That's really important because it makes it less likely that you will have a fall. So all in all, Hayley really has made things better for me. I think Move Together is brilliant. Thank you very much to the Move Together team you've really helped me."
How to get started
To find out more about moving more and get started, here's what you can do:
1: You can click here to make an enquiry, call your local Move Together co-ordinator (numbers below) or ask your GP to refer you
2: Your local Move Together co-ordinator will be in touch for a chat & next steps
3: You can decide together what sort of activities you'd like to do
4: Together we can agree the sort of ongoing support you'd like
What we can offer:
- Support, advice and guidance about starting to move more that's tailored to what you need, in the way you need it.
- We can be a kind voice on the phone or a friendly face on the doorstep to provide advice and information about moving more, with local volunteers to support if needed.
- Lots of ideas about ways to help you get back more strength and mobility, improve how you feel and become more confident about going out.
- Whether you want to find out more about local community activities, walking groups or how to move more within the comfort of your own home, we are here to help.
- We can help you access specially designed home activity packs, exercise sessions for specific conditions, online classes and much more.
- All of the Move Together advice is provided by physical activity experts in line with COVID safe guidance, designed to support you to be more active and improve your health and wellbeing.
What Move Together participants are saying
"It's the best I've felt in years"
"I have increased my walking and started to feel more positive about things."
"I am really pleased to receive the Welcome Pack with all the local information. I have since been to a nature reserve and completed a 5k walking route on the other side of town."
"Despite my health conditions, I would like to try a seated exercise routine to increase my muscle strength and help me walk further."
Contact your local Move Together Co-ordinator today:
- Oxford City: 07483 007114
- Cherwell District Council: 01295 221575
- Vale of White Horse: 07717 714477
- South Oxfordshire: 07717 836750
- West Oxfordshire: 01993 861564
Most importantly of all, please remember that you're not alone. We are here to listen and support and can link you to other people who may be feeling exactly the same way as you do. We look forward to welcoming you to Move Together!
Move Together is funded by Oxfordshire County Council and co-ordinated by Active Oxfordshire in partnership with District Councils.