Start your journey today
Image from Department of Health/Make Sport Fun
We are living in exceptionally challenging, uncertain times. Finding easy, fun and accessible ways to move more and get active has never been more important - not just for your physical health, but for your mental health, too. So whether you are keen to start walking, exercises at home, cycling, running or something totally different, we are here to help you get started on your journey towards moving more.
Why is moving more so important?
Exercise is known as the miracle cure we've all been waiting for. Moving more can reduce your risk of serious illnesses such as type 2 diabetes, stroke, heart disease and cancer. Getting active helps you live longer, better and improves your quality of life. This isn't just about the impact on your physical health, either: exercise makes a significant difference to your mental health and well-being too.
Find out more about the benefits of exercise here.
First steps to a more active life
Every movement counts
We've outlined a few of our favourite ideas below to help you get started. Our main advice is to make moving more part of your every day life, whether that is walking, gardening, cycling or dancing to your favourite routine. If you choose something that you enjoy, it's much easier to make it part of your day - with the most incredible benefits.
- Couch to 5k: fantastic week-by-week guide to help you get moving: start today!
- Health walks: walking is an easy, free and enjoyable way to start getting active. Find your local health walks here
- Staying active at home: there's plenty you can do to move more in the comfort of your own home. We've pulled together lots of home exercises, advice and inspiration to help you get started!
- Get cycling: we've pulled together some useful resources to help you get back in the saddle.
- Better Health campaign: staying active and achieving a healthy weight makes a huge difference to your physical and mental well-being. Find out more about how the Better Health campaign can help you make changes today.