Improving our mental wellbeing through physical activity
Being physically active is not only beneficial to physical health, it also has benefits to improving our mental health. Moving move can improve our mental wellbeing by:
- Raising self-esteem
- Improves mood
- Reduces stress, anxiety and depression
- Better sleep
- Helps with connecting with others
5 ways to wellbeing
- Connect: Keep in touch with those around you.
- Be active: Find an activity that you will enjoy.
- Take notice: Take a moment and reflect to help appreciate what matters
- Learn: Explore what is out there. Try something new.
- Give: Small acts of kindness towards your friends, family or a stranger.
Five Ways to Wellbeing (PDF, 201 Kb)
How are you feeling?
The NHS mood self-assessment quiz helps you to understand how you've been feeling and what you can do about. Click here to have a go.
Before getting started
Physical activity can help our mental health and it is important to find an activity that works for us and know what to do to overcome anything that may stop us from becoming more active. We will need to know what type of activity and how much we should be doing to effectively feel the different in moving more. Oxfordshire Mind has some advice on how to get started here.
Finding local activities
GO Active have a wide range of activities to suit all and within all of Oxfordshire's districts. Whether you are looking for a cycle or walking route, a group exercise class or you simply want ideas of activities and exercises you can do in the comfort of your home. Click here to find an activity.
Our partner organisations also offer support and physical activity opportunities, please follow the links below: